Massage during pregnancy is no longer considered just a treat for the expectant mother; the benefits of pregnancy massage go above and beyond helping just the aches and pains that go hand-in-hand with pregnancy.
The benefits of pregnancy massage are numerous:
1. Having a regular massage can help to heighten your awareness of your own body and of your baby growing inside you.
2. Massage offers relief from muscle cramps, spasms, and myofascial pain, especially in the lower back, neck, hips, and legs
3. The massage strokes and meditative techniques can help reach an inner calmness to help de- stress and relax. This is very important throughout your pregnancy and especially when it comes to labour as studies show that high levels of maternal cortisol (the stress hormone) may lead to complications throughout pregnancy and birth.
4. Massage helps to reduce stress on weight-bearing joints
5. Breathing techniques that are used during a massage can calm your nervous system, creating a sense of grounding and of self-control.
6. Stimulated circulation of blood throughout your body can distribute essential nutrients to all your vital organs especially the placenta, the source of nourishment for your baby.
7. Massage can encourage release of oxytocin, the hormone which reduces pain. Massage techniques and certain pressure points can be taught to a birthing partner which can ultimately help during labour!
8. The endorphins released during a massage will help you relax in body and in mind, giving you a natural high which is passed on and shared with your baby. This can also help to relieve depression or anxiety caused by the huge hormonal changes taking place in the body.
9. Through nurture and promotion of the parasympathetic mode by massage tiredness can be eased, the digestion system can be optimised and our immune system functioning to the max.
10. Increasing the blood and lymph circulation by massage can help to reduce and ease any swelling
At Bath Pregnancy Massage our specialist treatments aim to support you and your baby throughout pregnancy and beyond, ensuring the very best of care throughout this special time. We aim to make your experience as relaxing, comfortable and peaceful as can be.
We know from experience that each pregnancy can be entirely different from one to the next and are therefore here to support each woman and her individual needs, physically and emotionally, so that both are in balance.
Both our pregnancy and postnatal massage are floor based massages, positioning the mother on her side, with plenty of pillows and bolsters for extra support, ensuring maximum comfort and safety. An almond base oil is used as it is full of Vitamin A, B, D and E. It also contains potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, iron and Omega 3 which is perfect for the pregnant or postnatal woman, as the body will readily accept these plant oils, absorbing the nutrients through the skin, keeping it soft, smooth and hydrated.
At the beginning of the first session a full confidential consultation will be taken. This is done to get a better understanding of you and any ailments, areas of tension or discomfort that you may be experiencing and to create the best treatment just for you.
No two massages are the same and each massage is completely tailored to your needs on the given day. There are many different techniques that could be used during treatment including;
· Swedish Massage movements, characterized by the use of five basic stroke techniques: effleurage, petrissage, friction, tapotement and vibration.
· Deep tissue massage to helps to break down hardened bands of tissue, relieving pain and restoring movement,
· Lymphatic drainage to assist your body in clearing sluggish tissues of waste and swelling.
· Shiatsu Energy Releasing holds - Using pressure, touch and manipulative techniques to stimulate energy channels (known as the meridians), aiming to unblock any stuck energy
· Mobilisation techniques to help attain a normal range of pain-free joint motion
· Exercises to help improve your muscle tone, strength and endurance
· Breathing techniques to help relax you, help you cope during labour, and provide your body and baby with more oxygen
Later on in the pregnancy, massage techniques and exercises are tailored to labour and how massage can be an effective form of pain relief and comfort during this time. Specific Partner and Birth Preparation Sessions can be participated in at this time inviting partners to learn various massage techniques to help aid the expectant mother through pregnancy and labour.
Caring for your baby postpartum and beyond is equally as important as looking after your body when you are expecting. Post- natal Massage at Bath Pregnancy Massage can help with easing out tension and relieving aches to help you get back to 'normal' again. It can also be an opportunity to take time out simply to relax. While you enjoy the massage your new-born can lie next to you enabling you to enjoy this time together.
Pregnancy Massage is intended to support and not replace antenatal care as provided by your GP, midwife or obstetrician. Please disclose your medical history to your massage therapist before booking an appointment as sometimes massage is not advised or a GP note may be needed before treatment can commence.
Bath Pregnancy Massage is part of Bath Holistic Massage providing the best in Holistic Massage treatments in Bath.
Whether for personal indulgence or improving your health, massage is a wonderful way of alleviating physical and emotional aches and pains, relieving you of the stress in everyday life, resulting in an overall feeling of relaxation and revitalisation. Each treatment at Bath Holistic Massage is individually tailored for you to suit your individual needs.
Sophia at Bath Holistic Massage is a qualified and experienced masseuse who is passionate about her work- offering only the best in holistic treatments, such as the Full Body Holistic massage - the ultimate way to relax and unwind. Using classical Swedish techniques, the massage is designed especially to suit your own personal needs whether it be light and calming techniques to promote relaxation in the muscles, or slightly deeper tissue movements to help relieve specific knots, tension, aches and pains.
For more information on any of our treatments please contact Sophia on 07837828156 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, please visit the websites; www.bathpregnancymassage.co.uk / www.bathholisticmassage.com
Or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest