Family nutritionist and author of Baby-Led Weaning Step by Step, Julie Clark, is sharing her fail-safe Healthy Soft Flapjack recipe, which is a delicious all-rounder – acting as a tasty, nutritious snack for children and a fantastic energy-booster for parents. It is also dairy-free.
“Oats are a fantastic superfood”, says author and nutritionist Julie Clark, “not only do they keep you fuller for longer, they help stave off high sugar cravings, boost energy levels and their antioxidant properties can help fight off certain illnesses too.”
This simple yet tasty recipe is also suitable as a finger food for babies from six months old.
Healthy soft flapjacks
(Makes around 10 slices)
How to make Healthy soft flapjack:
- 250g Scottish porridge oats
- 50g Desiccated coconut
- 250g Raisins
- 50g Dried cranberries
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Lightly grease a sandwich tin or deep baking tray.
- Put the raisins and dried cranberries into a small saucepan and add enough water just to cover the fruit.
- Heat saucepan gently over a low heat to soften the fruit, once the fruit has softened drain the water from the saucepan and transfer the contents into a blender. Whizz the fruit to make a puree of the fruit and water.
- Next, place all of the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and combine well.
- Add the fruit mixture and the oil and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and even it out, carefully smooth over the surface so your flapjack has an even finish and place into the oven.
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
As a little bit more information about Julie Clark, her new book Baby-Led Weaning Step by Step is the UK’s first month-on-month handbook and is packed full of down-to-earth advice, recipes, top tips and a Baby-Led Weaning diary, with photographs, documenting the progress of her own daughter Rosie learning to self-feed on healthy, nutritious home cooked food.
Baby-Led Weaning Step by Step (£10.99 RRP) is available to buy now from Amazon and in all good book shops. For more information about Julie Clark or her book, Baby-Led Weaning Step by Step, please visit www.spring-nutrition.co.uk
or telephone 01622 750993.