These squares are like a delectable and portable apple crumble. A delicious and simple afternoon pick-me-up! They’re just right for popping in lunch boxes and picnic bags.
How to make blackberry and apple crumble squares
- 175g butter
- 250g plain flour
- 2tbs cornflour
- 75g caster sugar
- Gently cooked blackberries and apples
- Icing sugar for dusting.
- Cut the butter into pieces and place into a large bowl with four, cornflour and sugar.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Measure out 125g of the mixture and put to one side.
- Work the remaining mixture until it comes together to form a ball, then press the mixture into the baking tin.
- Carefully pour the blackberry and apple mixture over the shortbread mixture in the tin, if using dried fruit place the chopped dried fruit onto the mixture, sprinkle with reserved crumble.
- Place in oven at 180°C for 30 minutes until the top is slightly browned.
- Cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then cut into approx 12-14 pieces.
- Dust lightly with sifted icing.
Experiment with combinations of seasonal foods with the crumble squares by adding lemon zest to the crumble and arranging fresh strawberries on the top of the squares during the summer months or delicious dried fruits at Christmas such as cherries, sultanas and Clementine zest.