Baking with your Toddler can be great fun, here is a great cupcake recipe for you to try, a firm favourite here at the office.
For the icing
- 150g (6oz) cooking margarine
- 150g (6oz) caster sugar
- Splash of vanilla essence
- 150g (6oz) self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- A pinch of salt (optional)
How to make Vanilla Cup Cakes
- 140g (5oz) butter, softened
- 280g (10oz) icing sugar
- A few drops of food colouring (to add colour to your cakes)
For the icing
- Cream together the sugar, margarine and vanilla essence until smooth and creamy (The colour should lighten).
- Add the eggs – either separately or beaten, preference is yours – and the flour.
- Beat/mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Put a desert spoon full in each cake case. If any left, just top a case or two up! 5. Place in a pre-heated oven (180C) for approx. 20-25 minutes or until golden on top.
- Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth. Beat in a little milk, if necessary, to loosen the mixture.
- Stir in the food colouring until well combined.
- Add to the top of your golden cupcakes with a small spoon.
Mandie works in the Copy Department here at Small Steps but enjoys baking cakes in her spare time…. and what Mandie doesn’t finish off at home, gets devoured by the rest of the Small Steps team.