We turn the classic steak sandwich on its head making your ordinary steak sandwich look dull with a fresh up to date version. Our Steak sandwich combines infused beetroot with honey & mustard dressing. Infused beetroot is available in major retailers, flavours include - Spicy Sweet and Fiery Beetroot.
for the dressing
for the sandwich
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
How to make Steak sandwich with infused beetroot
- a 2-3cm fat ribeye steak (approx 225g weight)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- a little sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2-4 shallots, finely sliced (for a summer version, replace the shallots with a handful of peppery watercress leaves)
- 2-3 cooked beetroot choose from Juniperberry & Black Pepper or Red Wine Vinegar and Orange Blossom Honey infused beetroot from the infused beetroot ready-to-eat range, sliced
- a ciabatta loaf, cut in half & sliced open
- Firstly, make the dressing by putting everything in a small jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake well until thoroughly mixed and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan until smoking hot.
- Season the steak on both sides with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Lay the steak in the pan and fry, undisturbed, on one side for 2-3 minutes.
- Flip over and fry on the other side for a further 2-3 minutes.
- For a 2-3cm thick piece of meat these timings should give you a medium steak.
- Cook a little less for rare, a little more for well done.
- Remove the steak and allow to rest on a warm plate tightly covered in foil.
- Add the shallots to the frying pan and fry for a few minutes over a medium high heat until softening and beginning to caramelise.
- Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Lay the ciabatta, cut side down, in the frying pan and toast lightly for a minute or two.
- Slice the steak into 1cm wide strips across the grain and divide between 2 pieces of ciabatta.
- Top with the sliced beetroot and fried onions.
- Drizzle over a little of the dressing and cover with the top of the ciabatta. Serve immediately.
- Any leftover dressing with keep in the fridge for at least a week.
Recipe from www.lovebeetroot.co.uk