These mini meringues are very quick and easy to make – and taste delicious with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries or any summer fruit, as well as with bananas all year round. A perfect pudding for toddlers, pre-school children as well as older children and adults too, serve them with ice cream or cream – yummy!!
- 2 large egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 100g caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon cornflour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
This will make about 20 or so mini meringues or 1 medium meringue suitable for making a fruit pavlova.
How to Make Mini Meringues
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 1, 140°C or 275°F and cover a couple of flat baking trays with grease proof paper.
- Put the egg whites into a large mixing bowl, add the salt and whisk with an electric mixer until stiff.
- Add the sugar gradually, whisking until very stiff.
- Stir in the cornflour, vanilla essence and lemon juice.
- Using a heaped teaspoon as a size guide (or larger if you prefer), spoon the mixture onto the baking trays.
- Bake for approx. 50 mins – 1 hour. The meringues are cooked when they look pale creamy brown and are hard to touch.
- Remove from oven & leave to completely cool before peeling off meringues.
- Serve with strawberries or fruit of your choice and ice cream or cream.
To make a pavlova, follow the same instructions as above, but spoon all the mixture onto 1 baking tray into an approx. 3 cm deep circle. It will probably take a little longer to cook. When the meringue is cold, spread whipped cream over the top and then cover with fruit for a scrummy pudding!