Pink Lady apples are grown in America, and to pay a tribute this is our apple version of the classic American banoffee pie. Light crisp filo pastry encases sweet crunchy pink lady apple slices and truly scrumptious toffee sauce. The easiest tart you can make, ideal to make with your toddler, pre-school child.
Preparation time: 10-15 mins
Cooking time: 15-30 mins, plus cooling
- 50g butter, melted
- 8 x 25g filo pastry sheets (approx. 24 cm x 25 cm)
- 1 x 397g tin dulce du leche
- 2 Pink Lady® apples, cored and finely sliced
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 15g flaked almonds
How to make Pink Lady Apple Toffee Tart
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C fan oven/gas mark 4 and put a baking tray in the oven to preheat. Brush the inside of a loose bottom 20 cm cake tin with a little melted butter.
- Put one sheet of filo pastry onto a clean work surface and brush all over with butter. Lay another sheet of filo pastry on top, slightly offsetting the corners. Repeat with butter and remaining filo pastry sheets.
- Take the filo pastry stack and use to line the cake tin, allowing the edges of the pastry to hand over the edge. Spread the dulce du leche all over the base of the pastry.
- Arrange the apple slices all over the top of the dulce du leche in circles, slightly overlapping the slices. Scrunch the over-hanging pastry over the top of the apples.
- Brush all over with a little butter, sprinkle with the sugar and almonds and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden and pastry is cooked. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe from www.pinkladyapples.co.uk