This stew will satisfy your hunger and nutrient needs in the cold winter months. Kale is a powerhouse of nutrition, delivering a bounty of vitamins and minerals; barley is full of cholesterol-lowering soluble fibre and adds great heartiness. If you want more heat, add a spicy sausage.
How to make Sausage, Kale and Barley Stew
- Oil for frying
- 8 Riverford sausages
- 2 red or white onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled & diced
- 240g pearl barley, rinsed with cold water
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves very finely chopped
- 1 litre good chicken or veg stock
- 300g cavolo nero or other kale, leaves stripped from the stalks & roughly chopped
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pan.
- Add the sausages and fry, turning now and then, until nicely browned all over.
- Remove the sausages to a plate and leave to one side.
- Add 1 tbsp more oil to the pan.
- Add the onion and carrot and fry gently for 5-6 mins, stirring now and then, until softened.
- Add the barley, stir for a min, then add the rosemary and stock. Season well with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 mins, then return the sausages to the pan.
- Simmer for another 20 mins.
- Add the chopped kale and simmer for another 5-10 mins, until wilted.
- Check the seasoning before serving.
Recipe from Riverford organics