You can easily double up this sausage pasta bake and make one for the freezer, it will keep in the freezer for 2 months. Serve with a crisp green salad.
- tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 thick pork sausages, skin removed, meat crumbled
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 300ml/10½fl oz vegetable stock
- 50g/1¾oz butter
- 50g/1¾oz plain flour
- 500ml/18fl oz milk
- 400g/14oz penne pasta
- salt and pepper
How to Make Sausage Pasta Bake
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the oil and gently cook the onion with a pinch of salt for 4-5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Crumble in the sausagemeat and fry until coloured on all sides. Add the tomatoes and vegetable stock, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and turn down the heat. Gently simmer for 10 minutes while you make the white sauce.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and stir to mix. Cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture has taken on a biscuit-coloured appearance. Slowly add the milk, bit by bit, whisking as you add to prevent any lumps from forming. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes to thicken slightly then remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile cook the penne in a pan of salted boiling water according to the packet instructions. Once cooked, drain and pour into the pan with the sausage and tomato mixture. Mix well. Pour this into a medium-sized ovenproof baking dish. Pour over the white sauce and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbling and golden.
Recipe from BBC Good Food