This Macaroni Cheese recipe is a true classic "mac and cheese" recipe. Basically this easy "mac and cheese" is baked in a casserole dish until golden topped and bubbly. Surprisingly, it doesn't take much time or effort to make . This is a quick family dinner that everyone will love, this macaroni cheese can also be made with vegetarian cheese.
- 50g baguette, cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp butter, plus 1 tbsp melted
- 350g spiral or other short pasta
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml whole milk
- 250g vegetarian mature cheddar, grated
- 50g Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
How to make Macaroni Cheese
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Spread the chunks of bread over a baking sheet, drizzle with the melted butter and season. Bake for 6 mins until crisp, then set aside.
- Boil the pasta for 2 mins less than stated on the pack. Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan. Add the garlic and mustard, cook for 1 min, then stir in the flour. Cook for 1 min more, then gradually whisk in the milk until you have a lump-free sauce. Simmer for 5 mins, whisking constantly until thickened. Take off the heat, then stir in all the cheddar and half the Parmesan.
- Stir the pasta and some seasoning into the cheesy sauce, then tip into a large ovenproof dish, or 4 individual dishes. Scatter over the bread and remaining Parmesan, then bake for 20 mins until crisp and golden. Can be frozen before baking – defrost thoroughly before cooking.
Recipe from BBC Good Food