These are the perfect grab-and-go snack. Keep a few on you or in the car in a zip lock bag for when the kids are asking for a treat.
Preparation time: 10
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups - 300g mixed almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts and pepitas (preferably activated), roughly chopped
- 2 cups - 180g rolled oats
- 2 cups -180g coconut flakes
- 5 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ - 120g cup coconut oil (or butter, or a mixture of both)
- ¾ - 150g cup rice malt syrup (Rice malt syrup is the consistency of honey, tastes like a very mild golden syrup and is virtually fructose-free)
- 1 cup - 190g Pumpkin Purée
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
How to make Pumpkin Ginger Spice Granola Bars
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a rectangular baking tray with baking paper. In a large bowl, mix together the nuts, oats, coconut flakes and chia seeds.
- In a saucepan, melt together the oil, syrup, pumpkin purée and spices and bring to a gentle boil. Remove from heat and stir through the nut mixture until well combined.
- Press the mixture evenly into the prepared baking tray and bake for 30–40 minutes, turning over halfway, or until golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before slicing into bars. Store bars in an airtight container in a cool dry place for one to two weeks.
Tricky Tip: For extra protein, feel free to add a couple of tablespoons of protein powder to the dry mix. For a gluten-free option, replace oats with puffed quinoa or puffed rice.
Recipe from I Quit Sugar Kids eCookbook