These tasty cheese, crab and prawn tarts are a fantastic starter to make that will impress at any dinner party! Or why not treat all the family at the weekend with this easy family recipe. The combination of cheese, crab meat and prawn is simply to die for, or you could use a smaller tart tins to make canapés for a Christmas treat or another special occasion, just double or triple the recipe to suite your requirements.
- 3 sheets filo pastry
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 50g (2 oz) grated Gruyere cheese
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons single cream
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon spring onion
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1 (170g) tin crabmeat – drained
- 100g pealed and cooked prawns
How to make Crab & Prawn Filo Tarts
- Preheat oven to 190°C / Gas 5.
- Grease a 6 portion non-stick muffin tin with some of the melted butter
- Put the mayonnaise, single cream, salt, mustard powder, pepper, eggs, spring onion , crabmeat and prawns in a food processer and blitz until well mixed.
- Lay filo sheets on work surface, one on top of the other.
- Cut the stack into 24 equal (12cm) squares.
- Line each muffin compartment with a filo square and brush with melted butter.
- Place another square on top, with corners offset, and brush with butter.
- Bake the filo cases for 6-7 minutes, or until golden.
- Cool completely before filling.
- After cooling, sprinkle the cheese into each shell.
- Spoon the crab and prawn mixture into each shell evenly
- Return to preheated oven and bake 18-20 minutes or until pastry is browned.
- Serve warm.
With thanks to the Small Steps home cooking team.