You can never go wrong with these homemade sausage rolls for toddlers; they are perfect food whether for a picnic, lunch box or simply a snack. The sausage rolls can also be frozen and reheated in the microwave for the perfect tasty no fuss, lunch or snack.
- 450 g higher welfare pork sausage meat, such as free-range or organic
- 1 onion, very finely chopped or grated
- 2 tsp finely chopped sage
- 250 g ready-made puff pastry
- plain flour, for dusting
- 1 higher welfare egg, such as free-range, beaten
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
How to make Homemade Sausage Rolls for Toddlers
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / fan 180°C / gas 6. Put the sausage meat, onion and sage into a large bowl and mix well.
- Roll the pastry onto a floured surface into a big rectangle as thick as a pound coin. Cut lengthways into two long, even rectangles. Divide the sausage mixture in two and roll each piece into a sausage shape with your hands. Lay the pieces lengthways along the centre of each rectangle.
- Brush the long edge of the pastry with water, then fold one side of the pastry over to wrap the filling inside. Press down with your fingers or a fork to seal the join.
- Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Cut the long rolls into bite-size chunks and space them out on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until puffed, golden and cooked through.