Easy to make and low in fat, this delicious tomato baked potato recipe is perfect for a filling, Bonfire Night party or get-together
How to make Tomato and Chilli Jacket Potatoes
- 6-8 baking potatoes
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp freshly grated root ginger
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ level tsp salt
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 150ml (¼ pint) cider vinegar
- 2-3 pieces star anise
- Pre heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Prick the potatoes and wrap them in foil, then bake them in the oven for about 1½ hours, or until they are tender.
To make the topping:
- Pour the olive oil into a heavy-based saucepan and heat over a moderate heat.
- Add the onion and celery to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the garlic, chilli and ginger and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, then add the tomatoes, red pepper and salt, and mix well.
- Add the sugar, vinegar and star anise, and stir over a moderate heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, so that the mixture doesn't stick to the base of the pan. Remove pan from heat.
- To serve, cut the potatoes in half and spoon the warm topping over.