Why not have a go at making these easy Hot Cross Buns. They are delicious warm from the oven, or lightly toasted for tea or breakfast.
For the Buns
- 500g strong white bread flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 heaped tsp mixed spice
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g butter, chopped into cubes
- 200g mixed dried fruits
- 7g sachet easy-blend dried yeast
- 200ml milk
- 2 eggs
For the Crosses and Glaze
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- honey or golden syrup, for brushing
How to make Easy Hot Cross Buns
- Tip the flour into a bowl and stir in the salt, mixed spice and sugar.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips. Stir in the dried fruit, then sprinkle over the yeast and stir in.
- Gently warm the milk so it is hot, but still cool enough to put your finger in for a couple of seconds.
- Beat with the eggs, then pour into the dried ingredients.
- Using a blunt knife, mix the ingredients to a moist dough, then leave to soak for 5 mins.
- Take out of the bowl and cut the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Shape the dough into buns on a floured surface. Space apart on a baking sheet, cover loosely with cling film, then leave in a warm place until half again in size. This will take 45 mins - 1 hr 15 mins, depending on how warm the room is.
- When the buns are risen, heat oven to 220°C / fan 200°C
- Mix the flour with 2 tbsp water to make a paste.
- Pour into a plastic food bag and make a nick in one of the corners. Pipe crosses on top of each bun.
- Bake for 12-15 mins until risen and golden.
- Trim the excess cross mixture from the buns, then brush all over with honey or golden syrup.
- The buns will keep fresh for a day. After that they are best toasted and served with butter.