A pop-over mould is ideal for baking these little spooky ghost cakes but you could use cut up cake instead under the white icing.
You will need:
How to Make Spooky Ghost Cakes.
- 175g unsalted butter plus extra for greasing
- 175g plus1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 3 large eggs
- 175g self-rising flour
- Cornflour for dusting
- Non stick baking spray
- 1 x 24 oz. box white rolled fondant icing
- 1 tube of black Writing Icing
- Beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla essence until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time adding a tablespoon of flour with each egg. Beat well and fold in the remaining flour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spoon the batter into a pop-over pan that has been sprayed with non stick baking spray and fill each moulds till just over half full. Place on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Allow to cool, cut off the top of the cakes to form a flat surface, then turn out onto a board or plate. Allow to cool completely.
- Dust your work surface with corn-starch and roll out the icing . Cut out circles to drape over the cakes. You can use a saucer as a guide.
- Drape these over the sponge cakes to form ghosts.
- From the trimmings either use a mini cutter to cut out some tiny white oval shapes or roll out some tiny balls of white icing into oval shapes .
- Dampen them with a little water and stick them onto the front of the ghost. Use a blob of black Writing Icing for the pupils of the eyes.
MAKES 18 GHOULISH GHOST CAKES