This recipe is suitable for children 6 months plus, just blend, chop or mash as necessary. Ideal for your toddler, pre-school child.
Hearty and suitable for the whole family. Serve with some steamed broccoli or carrots for a simple weekday supper or alongside some fish or roast chicken.
Serves 4-6 as a main course,
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1.5 hours
Storage: In the fridge for 48 hours or in the freezer for 8 weeks
How to make Creamy Butternut Squash Bake
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 350g of waxy potatoes
- 350g of sweet potatoes
- 350g of butternut squash
- 300ml of whole milk or cream
- 2-3 cloves of garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp of powdered nutmeg or half a nutmeg grated
- 200g cheese grated
- Several handfuls of breadcrumbs
- A couple of sprigs of rosemary and thyme
- (opt) Ground pepper to taste (opt)
- A medium sized oven-proof dish
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees°C
- Oil the baking dish with olive oil.
- Finely slice all the vegetables, the thinner they are sliced the quicker they will cook.
- Layer each vegetable into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle over any herbs, the nutmeg, pepper and garlic.
- Pour over the milk or cream.
- Cover with foil.
- Put in the oven until tender enough for a knife point to pass easily through the vegetables.
- Remove the dish from the oven, discard the foil. Sprinkle the vegetables with the cheese and breadcrumbs. Return the dish to the oven until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Blend, chop or purée as necessary for the youngest members of the family.
Some food processors have a slicing attachment, now’s the time to put it to use if you have one.
Mix and match your vegetables in this recipe, try using parsnips, swede, celeriac or even apple, you’ll always end up with a tasty and hearty result.
Recipe provided by www.babybites.co.uk