Traditionally, Shepherd’s Pie is made with a filling of lamb. This vegetarian version replaces the lamb with colourful, healthy vegetables – onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes, and red lentil's. The vegetable filling is then topped with creamy mashed potatoes.
- 750g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 25g-50g vegan margarine
- 50ml or more soya milk
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 75g dried red lentils, cooked in water until tender
- 1 x 400g tin tomatoes, chopped
- 150ml vegetable stock
How to make Shepherd-less Pie
- Steam potatoes until soft. Place in separate bowl and add margarine. Mash thoroughly, adding soya milk until potato is smooth and creamy. Place aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in frying pan and add onions and celery. Fry until tender. Add carrot, lentils, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Simmer for 20 mins or until lentils are cooked and liquid is absorbed.
- Place in casserole dish and spread creamed potato on top. Heat in oven at 180°C, 350°F or gas mark 4 for 15-20 mins until potato is browned on top.