These are bit like squashed bhajis. They're great as you can make them with just about any vegetables.
- 1 egg
- 2 mugs of coarsely veggies*
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Your choice of spice: we used 2 tsp ground cumin with grated carrots and 1 tsp each: fresh ginger and chilli with the courgettes
- A handful of greenery (herbs, spinach, kale...), finely chopped
- ½ to 1 mug of plain white flour, plus extra for dusting
- A splash of olive or sunflower oil
How to make Veggie Fritters with Yoghurt Dip
- Whisk the egg until frothy. Add the grated veg or roughly mash the cooked veg and add it.
- Mix with the garlic, a good pinch of salt and pepper, your choice of spices and herbs or greens.
- Dust ½ the flour over and give it a good mix. Add a bit more flour if the mix still looks quite wet.
- Place a bit of flour into a shallow bowl or plate.
- Scoop up your veg mix into golf ball-sized spoonfuls.
- Press - let them flatten out when you do this - into the flour to lightly coat.
- Fry each fritter in a bit of oil until golden on each side.
- Serve with yoghurt or our yummy red chilli jam.
*You turn all sorts of veggies into fritters. There are two different ways of preparing them for the fritter batter: coarsely grated (this works well with carrots, parsnips, courgettes and potatoes) or pan-fried or steamed until just tender (peeled and diced swede or cauliflower florets).